Rocky Mackintosh and Ashleigh Kiggans have been consulting with the property’s new owner, John Krumpotich, and his team on the 400+ acre property. The property has been on and off the market, since its closing in 1998.
In 1889, Fort Ritchie was purchased by Buena Vista Ice Company of Philadelphia, with the plan to make ice in the manmade lake (still on the property) to ship to the Baltimore/ Washington areas. Once the ice service was discontinued, the property was sold. The Maryland National Guard purchased the property and reopened it as a military base in 1926. During its 72 years as an active base, it was a top Army training facility to over 19,000 soldiers, including the Ritchie Boys.
Following the closure of the base in 1998, the property was put up for sale. While there were numerous sales contracts over the last 20 years, including PenMar and JGBLI, Krumpotich is the first to make it through a full feasibility period. On March 3, 2020, the Washington County Commissioner officially approved the Krumpotich’s sales contract in a 3-2 vote, as reported, by Julie E. Greene, in this Herald Mail article. He will officially close on the property in early April.
The potential of this property is unmatched by anything in this area. If you have any interest or wish to learn more about the many opportunities, please visit the Fort Ritchie property page on our website.